Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor

I’m not a runner. In fact the only time I will run is if I’m being chased (or chasing someone.) Sure, now and then I’ll "pounce" a bit if I'm provoked. But to run for the “fun” of it? No thanks pal.

To demonstrate how whacked the humanerds in my life truly are, let me tell you about one of my long-time servants (she happens to be my personal chef & assistant). For the 9th life of me, I just can’t figure out why she loves to run. In the last year she’s completed both her first half-marathon and a full-marathon. (That’s got to be like 400 miles, right?) Believe me when I tell you, the girl is nuts.

Most every holiday season I’m stumped when it comes to buying presents for my key staff members. (They already have ME to tend to 24/7. What else on earth could they possibly want or need?)

This year one item on my gift list was a breeze to buy (thanks to my Number 1. servant’s new found passion for running). I thought, “What does every aspiring lunatic runner really need and want? A gadget of some kind of course!"

So here's the scoop on the purrrfect gadget for runners from Garmin:

The Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS System is billed as a “combination running partner and personal trainer designed for athletes of all levels.” It features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, new courses feature, and robust ANT wireless heart rate monitor for optimal performance.

Packed with a super-sensitive GPS receiver, it tracks your every move, even working on tree-covered trails and near tall buildings. The included heart device feature monitors your heart rate, speed, distance, pace and calories burned so you can train smarter (not harder) and more effectively. A “Courses Feature” lets you download recorded courses and compete against previous workouts. The "Auto Pause" feature pauses and resumes the training timer.

The device is a bit bigger than a wrist watch (but hey, it's smaller than a toaster) measuring 2.1"W x .7"H x 2.7"D (that’s 53.3 x 17.8 x 68.6 mm). Also, unlike a toaster, it's submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. It also features “Alerts” for Time, Distance, Pace and Heart Rate and comes complete with the wireless Heart Rate Monitor.

Put your paws on it here:



1 comment:

  1. I have a Garmin Forerunner and track all my runs religiously. I used it to train for my first marathon and I don’t think I could have done it without this watch. This is a must tool if you would like to set goals and track your performance. I have used it in extreme cold and hot weather conditions and this watch never failed me. The battery lasts for a very long time and usually takes less than an hour to charge it back up through the AC charger (takes a little longer through the USB cable). When you turn on the Forerunner, it acquires satellites first, which can take a while (1-4 minutes) if your last location was somewhere else. This can be annoying, but on the bright side, once the satellites are acquired, they are never dropped even while running around tall buildings... I use that boot up time to do extra stretches. One interesting thing I noticed during long distance races, that there’s always a discrepancy between the distance readout on my Forerunner and the race course distance, even though these races are USATF certified. My marathon was actually 26.44 miles, instead of 26.2. I learned that courses are measured with a measuring wheel on the tangent line when there are corners. Like most runners I don’t run in a straight line, but weave between people and over long distances these extra little trips can add up. Still, the difference is negligible and the Forerunner was crucial to my pacing. This gadget is the perfect gift for the runners on your shopping list.

    ReplyDelete